Sunday, October 9, 2016

What Socioeconomic Class is Ideal for Raising Children?

This week in class, one of the discussions that we had was centered around socioeconomic classes. My professor posed a question that I have been thinking about all week. What social class do you want to raise your children in?

Now, my first thought came pretty clearly that I don't want to be in the lower class. I want to be in a position where I can provide everything that my children need. I want them to be able to have experiences that they wouldn't be able to have if they were considered "lower class." I don't want them to be concerned about the financial welfare of our family, as that is not something that children should have to think about at a young age.  However, I realized that it goes much deeper than this.

Socioeconomic class is this thing that has kept people separated forever. There are negative stereotypes about all of the different classes and often, people experience insecurities because of the divisiveness that accompanies these classes. As I thought about it though, I realized that I know incredible people who come from all of these classes. So, as I was contemplating where I want my own family to fall, I realized that it isn't all that important as long as my own children understand the concept of hard work. As long as they know that they can become anything they aspire to be. And as long as I have taught them to love everyone around them without judgment.

It is possible to belong to any of these classes and be lazy. It is also possible to belong to any of these classes and be hard working and successful. So I think our focus should be on teaching our families correct principles rather than worrying about social status because in the end, I think it's really nothing more than a reputation.

I also feel impressed to share how important I believe it is to be kind and supportive to ALL of our fellow men, regardless of their title. Let's break the stigmas and come together to help one another achieve goals. Let's avoid judgment and recognize that there is "value in (all) families."










1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post. I totally agree. Hoping my children learn how to work hard and love everyone

    ReplyDelete